Professor dr. Amon Murwira
ZIMCHE Strategic Planning Workshop
17th December 2018
THE ROLE OF ZIMCHE IN DELIVERING THE HIGHER AND TERTIARY EDUCATION WE WANT
- Mission Critical for HTE: To industrialise and modernise the economy, in the process create jobs, and improve the standard of life of Zimbabweans. This is Mission Critical! Never forget why we even start to do HTE!
- As we march forward, we refuse to be defined by someone else’s vision of what’s possible but by our own vision. Thus, our vision 2030 of becoming an upper middle income economy shall be possible through pragmatic optimism and the capacity to shake off negative energy.
- Current Situation of Zimbabwe HTE
- High Literacy levels ~ 94%
- Low skills levels ~ 38%
- Skills Surplus in Business and Commerce ~ 121%
- Gap between Literacy levels and skills levels ~56%
- Same degrees with different contents~Discord in qualifications
- No clear path and philosophy for meaningful industrialisation from HTE
- Bad conceptualisation of the Purpose and context of HTE in the Economy
- Low University Rankings