Applicants are invited for the post of Chief Director: Life and Health Sciences. This senior position is pivotal to the work of the ZIMCHE in relation the Universities in terms of its mandate as per the ZIMCHE Act. Our main role as per the ZIMCHE Act is inter alia, to:
- Design and recommend an institutional quality assurance system for higher education, that is, a system whereby the courses, programmes and degrees offered by institutions are evaluated on a regular and objective basis”.
- Promote and coordinate education provided by institutions of higher education and to act as regulator in the determination and maintenance of standards of teaching, examinations, academic qualifications and research in institutions of higher education.
By any measure, this is the most important function of the ZIMCHE. Therefore, the ZIMCHE is looking for a seasoned academic and thought leader who has experience in a local university where she or he has successfully taught courses at undergraduate and post graduate levels and supervised students in the fields of Life and Health Sciences at all levels.
The Chief Director will be the chief advisor of the CEO and our universities on all Life and Health Sciences programs, Quality Assurance, Practices, Procedures and Accreditation matters and will report to the Chief Executive Officer. The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate that she or he can take a lead in the introduction of Life and Health Scenes Courses and programs in all our universities. In the process, she or he must be able to demonstrate that she or he has their intellectual, academic and professional respect. Therefore, the Chief Director must be a full professor with more than 15 years of experience in higher education in this country. Experience in the Region will be an added advantage. Additionally, the ZIMCHE is looking for an individual who has experience of working in both residential and in Open, Distance and e-Learning institutions so as to be able to advise academics and managers in different types of universities and especially in the burgeoning area of blended learning that most of our universities have adopted and advise on the development of a Program Qualification Mix (PQM), Quality Assurance and to the satisfaction of our parent Ministry and the Ministry of Health; Zimbabwean universities; and academics.
The ZIMCHE is looking for men and women that are dedicated to the development of higher and tertiary education in Zimbabwe so that they build communities of practice committed to a reform agenda whose object is to engender facilities of orientation, reflection and exploration in higher and tertiary education. We are looking for women and men who are pathfinders and explorers that are prepared to re-invent and re-imagine the form, content and orientation of higher and tertiary education in Zimbabwe especially in the Life and Health Sciences.
The goal is to change the genetic code of higher and tertiary education in Zimbabwe in Life and Health Sciences so that we can re-center transformative and critical architectures of teaching and learning, Heritage Based Education, Education 5.0, research, innovation, industrialization and commercialization in the activities of the university as recommended by the Honorable Minister Prof dr. Amon Murwira.
The prospective candidate is expected have corporate responsibility for leading tertiary institutions’ academic and professional work in relation to education, training and professional regulation of Health and Life Sciences programmes leading to the development of the health and life sciences work force and to actively engage and involve constituent professional and regulatory bodies by:
- Defining, implementing and reviewing education and training standards in the fields of Health and Life Sciences in Zimbabwe and at the same time benchmarking with the regional, continental and global standards.
- Contribute to the development and ongoing review of national curricula and a progressive PQM for all undergraduate and post graduate programmes in the fields of health and life sciences.
- Development and implementing a dynamic and robust quality assurance model across the various education and training programmes in the Life and Health Sciences.
- Developing and implementing equivalences to outcomes and harmonization of programmes in accredited tertiary education and training institutions bench marked against regional, continental and global standards.
- Operating accredited voluntary registers for tertiary training and education institutions in Zimbabwe, in the region, the continent and globally.
- Working with partner organizations in the provision and quality monitoring of education and training across the fields of health and life sciences in Zimbabwe.
- Design, set guidelines and harmonize enrolment of students to tertiary institutions in Zimbabwe.
- Internationalise Life and Health Sciences in the Zimbabwean institutions.
- Advocacy for adequate funding for tertiary health and life sciences institutions in Zimbabwe to enable delivery of curricula from treasury.
- To assess and monitor regional and international integrated health related training programs such as those offered by the College of East, Central and Southern Africa (COSECSA) which Zimbabwe is a member thereof, to ensure they meet best regional, continental and global standards and provide Zimbabwe’s targeted health skills mix.
- An advanced knowledge of the MS Office package especially Word, Power Point and introductory Visio.
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Excel.
- Willingness to learn MS Project is mandatory.
Specialist Medical Practitioner at level of Associate Professor. A Full Professorship will be an added advantage. Experience in running academic teaching and training programmes is essential. Prospective candidates who are at the level of Associate Professor with a doctorate and experience in teaching, research and Post Graduate student supervision in the Biological and Life Sciences are also encouraged to apply. A qualification in Health Professions Education is an added advantage.
To be submitted in six (6) copies including copies of detailed CVs, contact details of three references, and certified copies of certificates to The Chief Executive Officer, (CEO) ZIMCHE, P.O. Box H100, Hatfield or 21 J. M. Nkomo Road, Hatfield, Harare not later than September 6th 2019. Or up load your application electronically on the ZIMCHE website.
Offer ended on September 6, 2019