The Zimbabwe Council For Higher Education (ZIMCHE), a quality control regulatory authority, was established by an Act of Parliament, [Chapter 25:27], in 2006, to promote and co-ordinate education provided by higher and tertiary institutions, superintend over standards, act as a regulator in the determination and maintenance of examinations, academic qualifications and research.
The Chief Operating Officer/Manager will report to the CEO. The COO/Manager in the CEO’s office is responsible for supporting the CEO with background information on issues, practices, procedures, projects and activities so that he can make well informed decisions.
The position entails assisting the CEO in several areas which inter alia include:
- Advising and assisting the CEO in the implementation of decisions and projects related to staffing, financial management, facilities management, procurement of goods and services, local and international events; and meetings, to ensure that the organization delivers against deadlines.
- Assisting the CEO with advice and background work to effectively manage the ZIMCHE strategic plan and activities related to Quality Assurance; Program and Institutional Audits; Registration and Accreditation; and stakeholder management.
- Support the CEO to ensure that the highest quality of work is delivered in the key operational activities of ZIMCHE.
- Assisting and advising the CEO in the management of external and internal events, visits and meetings, following up on strategic projects with teams to ensure completion on time and to the required standard of quality, in the execution of policies and projects.
- A degree in the Human and Social Sciences such as Public Policy, Political Science, Sociology, Development Studies and Communications Science is essential.
- A qualification in Office Management such as an HND in Office Management and a qualification in Economics or a Diploma in Business Administration would be an added advantage.
- The ability to write extremely well in English is essential. Excellent writing and oral communication skills are essentials.
- At least 10 years of experience as a senior manager either in higher education or public policy environment working with CEOs and Directors or Managers.
- Demonstrable experience in terms of engaging with high profile visitors, is essential.
- Demonstrable and advanced competence in MS Word, MS PowerPoint and intermediate Excel is essential. Exposure to MS Project and willingness to attend short courses in MS Project is essential.
- Intermediate knowledge of research methods and data analysis is essential.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality always.
- Ability to write extremely well in English.
- Ability to work with diverse teams of individuals at the ZIMCHE and in the entire Higher Education system.
- Knowledge of the Public Service Financial systems.
- Knowledge of the higher education sector in the country.
- A very deep understanding of how the parent Ministry operates in terms of its relationship with universities and the role of ZIMCHE.
- Full understanding of the ZIMCHE Act and the National Constitution.
- Ability to work confidentially with the OPC.
The COO/Manager is expected to perform the following function sunder the guidance of the CEO:
- Work closely with the CEOs PA to manager the CEO’s office and assist the PA in managing the flow of information going in and out of the CEO’s office.
- Assist the PA in the CEO’s office to manage the CEO’s diary including local and international travel schedules.
- Assisting the CEO in ensuring that projects delegated to Chief Directors, Directors and Managers are followed up and deadlines for completion met expeditiously and efficiently.
- Taking responsibility for managing Council and Committees of Council meetings and their arrangements.
- Assist the CEO to ensure that he reviews and comments on strategic documents, policies, procedures and regulations in a timeous manner.
- Assist the CEO to ensure that he prepares papers and presentations for local and international meetings.
- Take full responsibility for managing Ministerial, Cabinet Authority and Chairman’s’ approvals for the CEOs travel requests including acquittals of his travel expenses.
- Liaise with the Public Relations Department to make sure that the communication link between the CEO’s office and both internal and external colleagues and organizations is managed effectively.
- Manage protocol issues in the CEOs office by making sure that the COO coordinates visits of high-level officials and business appointments by making sure that they are properly guided, introduced and welcomed by ZIMCHE and the CEO.
- In the absence of a Unit for Monitoring and Evaluation, carry out research and relevant studies required by the CEO and prepare reports on findings.
Candidates are expected to upload their application on the ZIMCHE website or send six (6) copies including a detailed CV, including the name, and the contact details of three references; and certified copies of education and birth certificates to the Chief Executive Officer, the ZIMCHE, No 21 J. M. Nkomo Road, Hatfield, Harare, Zimbabwe not later than 6th September 2019.
Offer ended on September 6, 2019