The Zimbabwe Council for Higher Education, a quality control and regulatory authority (ZIMCHE) was established by an Act of Parliament (Chapter 25:27), in 2006 “to promote and coordinate education provided by higher and tertiary institutions, superintend over standards, act as a regulator in the determination and maintaince of examinations, academic qualifications and research”. In that regard, applicants are invited for the post of Deputy Chief Executive, which has fallen vacant. We are looking for a highly motivated self-starter and an individual willing to work under pressure on critical projects and assignments.
The ZIMCHE is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates and those living with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The person required should:
- Be a holder of an earned Ph.D. qualification from a recognised University. A qualification in the following will be desirable Curriculum Studies; Higher Education Planning, Administration and Management; or Educational Policy Studies would be desirable;
- Be at the level of a Full or Associate Professor;
- Have at least 10 years’ experience in a Senior Academic position in a university or in a related institution,
- Be a seasoned and experienced academic with demonstrable administrative experience who has served as either an Executive Dean of Faculty or similar status in a related institution.
- Be an accomplished academic and Higher Education Administrator with a proven track record for superintending over teaching, research, innovation, industrialisation, and commercialisation functions at a senior level in the university.
- Have demonstrable experience in leading and managing a Quality Assurance or Teaching and Learning unit in a university locally or internationally.
- Have a sound grasp and or experience in the processes of auditing, registration and accreditation of higher and tertiary institutions, and the development of academic guidelines, standards and processes in a university or a similar organisation.
- Have experience in, and demonstrable knowledge of international quality assurance systems, procedures, practices, and policies.
- Have the ability to foster strategic partnerships and harmonious working relationships between and among various higher and tertiary education stakeholders.
Reporting the CEO, the position exists to support the CEO in the achievement of the ZIMCHE’s mandate. The incumbent must have an in-depth knowledge of key processes in higher education institutions and how these processes can be merged with quality assurance standard systems. The incumbent works in the CEO’ office in directing the Council’s day to day operations by working closely with senior management and other stakeholders, to ensure that Council affairs are conducted in a manner consistent with the requirements of the ZIMCHE Act a well as state laws and regulations.
- Strategic Planning and Leadership: The Deputy CEO assists the CEO in providing strategic direction and vision for the development and achievement of Council’s vision, mission, and values; and the transformation of the higher and tertiary education system in line with a Heritage based Education 5.0.
- Monitoring and Evaluation: The incumbent has the task of superintending over data analytics, research, processes of registration and accreditation of higher education institutions and their programmes and the development of academic audit guidelines.
- Mandate on Execution: As set out in Section 6 of the ZIMCHE Act Cap (25:27), as well as taking charge of working with universities in reforming university programmes curricula in line with Heritage Based Education 5.0, the Deputy CEO will take a lead in developing quarterly “Advisories” for Council and the Honourable Minister of the Ministry of Higher and Tertiary Education, Innovation Science and Technology Development.
- Report’s construction and production: Assists the CEO in producing Annual reports; reports for Council, Council Committees, and the Ministry of Higher and Tertiary Education, Science Innovation and Technology Development.
- Working with the Director (HR): Focus is on superintending over the implementation of the Integrated Results-Based Management (IRBM) system in the ZIMCHE.
- Resource Mobilisation: Work closely with the Director: Finance and the Finance Committee of Council to develop Annual Budgets and lead income generation, and the mobilisation of alternative resources for the ZIMCHE to increase the revenue streams and improve the infrastructure at the ZIMCHE site.
- Higher Education Image uplifting: the incumbent will be expected to enhance the image of the Zimbabwean Higher Education sector regionally, continentally, and globally, through networking with other agencies such as the Association of African Universities (AAU), The Southern African Regional Universities Association (SARUA), the African Quality Assurance Agency (AFRIQAN) and the Southern African Quality Assurance Network (SAQAN).
- An attractive remuneration package in accordance with ZIMCHE’s Terms and Conditions of employment will be offered. This will only be disclosed to shortlisted candidates.
Expression of interest (6 sets) should be accompanied by, a detailed CV and certified copies of degree certificates, present salary, names and addresses of at least three contactable referees to:
The Director Human Resources, ZIMCHE, P.O. Box H100 Hatfield or 21 J.M. Nkomo Road, Hatfield, Harare not later than 13th of August 2021.
The application should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org in a single PDF file clearly indicating the position being applied for in the subject line.
Please note that a background check will be conducted on shortlisted candidates.