Applicants are invited for the post of Director: Academic and Institutional Audits. She/he will be assisting the Chief Director: Quality Assurance, Practices and Procedures on all Academic and Institutional audit matters and will report to the Chief Director. This is a senior position in the ZIMCHE which requires a seasoned and experienced academic with demonstrable experience as either a head of Teaching and Learning in a University; or Head of a Quality Assurance Unit, Research Unit in a University; or a Dean responsible for Teaching and Learning and Quality Assurance in a University; or an Executive Director of a Centre for Teaching and Learning.
2. Job Purpose
This position exists to initiate and coordinate audit programmes in Higher Education Institutions and to ensure the promotion of quality higher education delivery.
3. Nature and Scope
Reporting to the Chief Director – Quality Assurance, Practices and Procedure. This position exists to develop and implement audit programmes in Higher Education Institutions to promote and maintain the expected quality standards. The position requires a high degree of analytical and conceptual thinking on order to make effective and practical recommendations to improve systems and provide quality education to students. The incumbent will advise team members on programme / institutional audits issues and challenges and will recommend modifications and improvements. S/He will engage in on-going research on educational standards on the international scene and will evaluate how best these standards can be applied in a local setting. The Director Academic and Institutional Audits will initiate in consultation with Chief Director – Quality Assurance, Practices and Procedure and coordinate the creation, maintenance and sharing of different databases pertinent to Higher Education to ensure effective policy formulation and decision making and will develop the necessary supportive instruments. The position will initiate and coordinate research on issues pertinent to Higher Education and will explore and mobilise possible research funds that can be accessed by the ZIMCHE and academics in Higher Education Institutions. The position will plan and coordinate all national audit visits to Higher Institutions to ensure accomplishment of set objectives. The incumbent will participate in the formulation of the ZIMCHE’s budget to ensure that all planned activities have the necessary financial support. The position will supervise Officers and other junior staff in the Directorate by offering guidance and direction to ensure accurate duty execution. Major challenges inherent in this position include operating in a difficult economic environment with limited resources. Delegated freedom to act is limited by written procedures which tend to delay implementation of agreed programmes.
4.1 Advisory Role
The incumbent will advise the Chief Director Quality Assurance, Practices and Procedure and the ZIMCHE executive team on issues that affect the ZIMCHE policies and programmes on audit processes, quality promotion, development processes and research activities to ensure achievement of the ZIMCHE goals.
4.2 Institutional Audits
The Director will initiate with the Chief Director Quality Assurance Practices and Procedure and coordinate the conducting of Audit Cycles to ensure that Higher Education Institutions maintain the ZIMCHE standards.
4.3 Database Maintenance
The Director Academic and Institutional Audits will initiate in consultation with the Chief Director Quality Assurance, Practices and Procedure coordinate the creation, maintenance and sharing of different databases pertinent to Higher Education to ensure policy formulation and decision making.
4.4 Audit Instruments
The incumbent will initiate with the Chief Director Quality Assurance, Practices and Procedure and coordinate the preparation of Audit Instruments to ensure Higher Education quality delivery.
The Director will monitor trends in International Higher Academic and Institutional Audits processes, quality promotion and development and research activities and make appropriate recommendations to ensure global competitiveness of Zimbabwe’s Higher Education System. The incumbent will explore and mobilise possible research funds that can be accessed by the ZIMCHE and academics in Higher Education Institutions.
4.6 Projects Management
The position will plan and coordinate National Audit visits to Higher Institutions to ensure accomplishment of set objectives. This requires the Director to analyse reports on institutional audits, quality promotion and development and research activities in order to make appropriate recommendation.
4.7 Policy Formulation
The Director will participate in policy formulation, management and coordination of ZIMCHE publications, conferences, workshops, and seminars for continuous improvement of Zimbabwe’s Higher Education System.
The incumbent will participate in the formulation of the ZIMCHE and Directorate’s budget.
4.9 Supervisory Duties
The position will supervise Officers and other junior staff in the Directorate by offering guidance and direction to ensure accurate duty execution. Additionally, the Director will assist it the servicing of the Higher Education Quality Assurance Committee (HEQAC) when necessary.
The incumbent will initiate and participate in the identification, orientation and training programmes for Peer Reviewers/ experts and Quality Assurance Officers in higher education institutions who will work with ZIMCHE in carrying out ZIMCHE audit programmes and activities to guarantee quality in higher education delivery.
4.11 Data Analytics
The incumbent will inter alia, be responsible for publishing half yearly and annual reports of critical university statistics and monitoring and evaluation reports on higher education with a particular emphasis on the following: Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) Student Enrollments, Headcount Graduations, Gross Enrollment Ratios, Student Data by Qualification Types, Student Staff Ratios, Throughput Rates, Overall Staffing Data and Situation in Universities, Throughput Rates and Financial Data.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Zimbabwe Higher Education quality assurance system.
- Knowledge of Institutional Audits and ability to advise on self-assessment by universities.
- Sound knowledge of global Higher Education trends and issues of quality assurance at international levels.
- Excellent and demonstrable research, analytical and writing skills are mandatory.
- Knowledge of strategic planning, development, implementation, evaluation and monitoring in higher education.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and persuasively, as well as to interact with stakeholders.
- Excellent project management coordination and organisational skills, and ability to manage and work in a team.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks and work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- An accomplished scholar who is dependable and able to demonstrate that she or he is respected nationally and regionally.
- A recognised and earned PhD qualification preferably in Quality Assurance; or Higher Education Planning, Administration and Management; or Curriculum Studies; or Educational Policy Studies or Educational Foundations.
- Led a Quality Assurance Unit or a related Unit in a university and should be at the level of Full or Associate Professorship in a university as the incumbent will be working with Heads of Departments, Deans and Pro Vice Chancellors in Universities.
- At least 10 years’ experience working in a university or public institution. At least five (5) of those years must have been at a senior position in a university, preferably in positions such as Executive Dean, Director or Head of Quality Assurance; Director or Head of the Research Unit, Director or Head of Department of a Teaching and Learning Unit;
- Experience in establishing and running quality management systems in a university;
- Experience in international quality assurance systems and procedures would be an added advantage.
- Experience of working in both residential and in Open, Distance and e-Learning institutions is essential.
- An advanced knowledge of the MS Office Package especially willingness to learn advanced MS Project and intermediate MS Excel is mandatory as part of one’s continuous professional development plan.
- Commitment intellectually and professionally to the development of an AI-powered organisation; and an electronic system for the accreditation of universities and university programs is essential.
- Supporting the ICT Director in the establishment of a HEMIS and the development of a culture of data analytics in the higher education sector.
Interested candidates should submit the following: application letter, a detailed CV and certified copies of degree certificates, present salary, names and addresses of at least three referees including their email addresses to:
The Director Human Resources, ZIMCHE, P.O. Box H100 Hatfield or 21 J.M. Nkomo Road, Hatfield, Harare not later than 16th of May 2021.
The application should be emailed to email@example.com in a single PDF file clearly indicating the position being applied for in the subject line.