Applications are being invited from suitably qualified candidates for the position of Director: Human Resources in the ZIMCHE based in Harare. As a government parastatal, we are looking for a highly qualified, competent and innovative professional who is committed to ensuring that we manage our human resources function to ensure that we achieve our goals and objectives in the key areas of our organization. This position has been established to advise, safeguard and control human resources and in order to achieve the strategic goals of the ZIMCHE
We are also looking for someone who will ensure that in terms of the human resources function we are able to manage and retain the best talent available on the market. The ZIMCHE needs a human resources unit to enable us to be “competitive amid constant turbulence and disruption” in our economy.
We are also looking for a dedicated and committed individual who is willing to re-think our thinking about human resources in the ZIMCHE so that we realize our competitive advantage as a regulator in our Higher and Tertiary Education environment.
The Director Human Resources will report to the Chief Director: Human Resources, Planning and Financing (CD:HR, Planning and Financing) the position requires strong knowledge and competencies as well as best practice knowledge on Human Resource Management. He/she must be flexible in his/her approach and award the required attention to HR. The incumbent will advise Council on matters to ensure corporate goals are met such as formulation of corporate strategies and plans in Human Resources. The incumbent will formulate internal controls to safeguard the ZIMCHE’s Human Resources. The Director HR will maintain up to date human resources records to ensure effective control and will process HR issues to ensure that operations of the ZIMCHE run smoothly.
The Director HR) will also play a critical in developing human resources policies for the ZIMCHE. He or she will also manage the Integrated Results Based Management (IRBM) system of the ZIMCHE. He or she will be the main custodian of the ZIMCHE’s Individual Performance Management System. He or she will also play a key role in continuous professional development of staff.
Additionally, the incumbent will ensure the attraction and retention of high caliber staff. This will include the development, motivation of the staff through competitive benefits and working conditions befitting a knowledge-based organization. He/she will produce and seek approval of human resources policies and procedures manuals to guide operations. The Director HR will also participate as part of the ZIMCHE team in institutional accreditation and auditing missions of ZIMCHE for purposes of improving quality in teaching, learning, research and governance in Higher Education Institutions in line with ZIMCHE’s quality assurance mandate. During such visits the incumbent is assigned to tasks relating to institutional governance structures; strategic plans; charters/ acts; HR issues etc.
The incumbent will be required to develop short course sin human resources for staff and to work closely with HR Directors in universities to mount workshops in HR for colleagues in the university sector.
- The minimum qualification is a master’s degree in Human Resources.
- An earned PhD with a specialization in Human Resources will be an added advantage.
- Membership of the IPMZ is a must.
- An advanced knowledge of MS Excel and PASTEL is essential.
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Project or PRINCE II will be an added advantage.
- Ability to learn an Enterprise Resource Planning System such as SAP will be essential.
In terms of professional experience, we are looking for someone with:
- A minimum of five years of continuous experience as Head of Human Resources in a similar institution or a university.
- Experience of working in a university will be an added advantage.
- Evidence of excellent research, data analytics and writing skills.
- Excellent project management, coordination and organizational skills.
- A servant leader with the ability to make use of emotional intelligence in leading and managing the Finance team.
- Ability to device a human resources strategy is essential.
The ZIMCHE has adopted the IRBM system as the main system of managing the performance of all staff. The Director: Human Resources will be expected to produce quarterly reports to the Chief Director: human Resources Finance and Administration. The following are the key deliverables for this position and the Director: Human Resources will be expected to deliver on these areas:
- Taking full responsibility for all the HR Function under the leadership of the Chief Director including implementing sound HR procedures;
- Providing policy advice on HR services to a wide range of clients within the ZIMCHE and ensuring that the HR regulations and procedures are continually adhered to and updated as necessary;
- Providing managerial and HR reports as required by Management, the Board and its relevant Committees under the guidance of the Chief Director;
- Assisting the Chief Director: Human Resources, Planning and Financing in formulating and managing the institution’s budget for HR;
- Developing coaching and mentoring workshops for staff.
- Leading a team of university HR Directors to interrogate current HR models of higher education in Zimbabwe and developing new HR models to advise our parent Ministry as per the ZIMCHE Act.
Candidates are expected to upload their application on the ZIMCHE website or send six (6) copies including a detailed CV, including the names, and contact details of three references; and certified copies of certificates to the Chief Executive Officer, ZIMCHE, No. 21, J. M. Nkomo Road, Hatfield, Harare, Zimbabwe, not later than September 6th, 2019.
Offer ended on September 6, 2019