Applicants are invited for the post of Director: Programme Accreditation. She/he will be assisting the Chief Director: Quality Assurance, Practices and Procedures on all Quality Assurance, Practices, Procedures and Accreditation matters and will report to the Chief Director. This is a senior position in the ZIMCHE which requires a seasoned and experienced academic with demonstrable experience as either a head of Teaching and Learning in a University; or Head of a Quality Assurance Unit in a University; or a Dean responsible for Teaching and Learning and Quality Assurance in a University; or an Executive Director of a Centre for Teaching and Learning.
We are looking for an innovator, an entrepreneurial mind and someone prepared to re-think the way we practice and think about Quality Assurance in Higher Education in Zimbabwe. We are also looking for someone who is prepared to take an intellectual and professional leadership role in this area of our work among universities and help to change the genetic code of teaching and learning inside out in our universities. The incumbent will report to the Chief Director: Quality Assurance, Practices and Procedures on all Quality Assurance Practices, Procedures and Accreditation matters in the ZIMCHE.
- Lead in the promotion and coordination of higher education and training provided by higher education institutions and to act as a lead regulator in:
- the determination and maintenance of standards of teaching;
- the transformation of how students learn virtually and physically in the new “normal” higher education environment imposed by the COVID-19 pandemic;
- working with universities to re-imagine how tertiary education students are tested and examined;
- continuously re-examining and improving the quality of Zimbabwean academic qualifications; and
- collaborating with tertiary education institutions in enhancing innovative research, and the development of disruptive models for post graduate education and training to enhance Education 5.0.
- Work closely with the senior management of universities on all matters concerned with Programme Accreditation, Quality Assurance, Procedures and Processes in order to build a higher education system that is responsive to the needs of Zimbabwe.
- Work collaboratively within the ZIMCHE and in the higher education sector in Zimbabwe, the Southern African Quality Assurance Network and the African continent to develop standards for quality assurance in universities.
- Reform and facilitate institutional registration, processing of applications for registration by those intending to establish new institutions of higher education; and processing applications for programme and institutional accreditation to ensure that, higher education in Zimbabwe remains competitive and in line with the strategic thrust of the parent Ministry as far as a Heritage Based Education 5.0 is concerned.
- Work closely with the Director: ICT and be innovative in the development of an electronic system for programme accreditation, assessing foreign qualifications and in the performance of institutional audits.
- Lead teams for Quality Assurance practise and procedures, registration and accreditation in the higher education sector through online and physical workshops in a dispersed higher education environment.
- Service the Higher Education Quality Assurance Committee (HEQAC) of the ZIMCHE Council and ensuring administrative efficiency in the implementation of decisions taken by Council and its sub-committee as far as registration of universities is concerned.
- Network with national, regional and international experts in the areas of accreditation of programmes and institutions to ensure benchmarking and international acceptance of degrees with the support of the Chief Director.
- Facilitate the setting up of peer review panels to ensure that suitably qualified and experienced academics constitute the panels for purpose of effective quality assurance and review of programmes.
- Follow up on institutional compliance to recommendations made by peer reviewers and “Thought Leaders” and submit a report to the Chief Director.
- Advise prospective and existing degree awarding institutions on accreditation, and reaccreditation; quality assurance practices; and procedures as assigned by the Chief Director.
- Assisting the Chief Director in the development and monitoring of strategic plans and a performance management system of the Directorate.
- Produce quarterly and annual reports for activities in the Directorate and report to the Chief Director as part of the IRBM performance management system.
- A recognised and earned PhD qualification preferably in Quality Assurance; or Higher Education Planning, Administration and Management; or Curriculum Studies; or Educational Policy Studies.
- Led a Quality Assurance Unit in a university and should be at the level of Full or Associate Professorship in a university as the incumbent will be working with Heads of Departments, Deans and Pro Vice Chancellors in Universities.
- At least 10 years’ experience working in a university or public institution. At least five (5) of those years must have been at a senior position in a university, preferably in positions such as Executive Dean, Director or Head of Quality Assurance; Director or Head of the Department of Teaching and Learning Unit;
- Experience in establishing and running quality management systems in a university;
- Experience in international quality assurance systems and procedures would be an added advantage.
- Experience of working in both residential and in Open, Distance and e-Learning institutions is essential.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Zimbabwe Higher Education quality assurance system.
- Sound knowledge of global Higher Education trends and issues of quality assurance at international levels.
- Excellent and demonstrable research, analytical and writing skills are mandatory.
- Knowledge of strategic planning development, implementation, evaluation and monitoring in higher education.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and persuasively, as well as to interact with stakeholders.
- Excellent project management coordination and organisational skills, and ability to manage and work in a team.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks and work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- An accomplished scholar who is dependable and able to demonstrate that she or he is respected nationally and regionally.
- An advanced knowledge of the MS Office Package especially willingness to learn advanced MS Project and intermediate MS Excel is mandatory as part of one’s continuous professional development plan.
- Commitment intellectually and professionally to the development of an AI-powered organisation; and an electronic system for the accreditation of universities and university programs is essential.
- Supporting the ICT Director in the establishment of a HEMIS and the development of a culture of data analytics in the higher education sector.
Interested candidates should submit the following: application letter, a detailed CV and certified copies of degree certificates, present salary, names and addresses of at least three referees including their email addresses to:
The Director Human Resources, ZIMCHE, P.O. Box H100 Hatfield or 21 J.M. Nkomo Road, Hatfield, Harare not later than 1 October 2021.
The application should be emailed to email@example.com in a single PDF file clearly indicating the position being applied for in the subject line.