Applicants are invited for the post of Director: Qualifications Assessment. She/he will be assisting the Chief Director: Quality Assurance, Practices and Procedures on all matters related to the assessment of qualifications. This is a senior position in the ZIMCHE which requires a seasoned and experienced academic with demonstrable experience as either a head of Teaching and Learning in a University; or Head of a Quality Assurance Unit in a University; or a Dean responsible for Teaching and Learning and Quality Assurance in a University; or an Executive Director of a Centre for Teaching and Learning.
We are looking for an innovator, an entrepreneurial mind and someone prepared to re-think the way we practice and think about Quality Assurance in Higher Education in Zimbabwe. We are also looking for someone who is prepared to take an intellectual and professional leadership role in this area of our work among universities and help to change the genetic code of teaching and learning inside out in our universities. The incumbent will report to the Chief Director: Quality Assurance, Practices and Procedures on all Quality Assurance Practices, Procedures and Accreditation matters in the ZIMCHE.
The Director – Qualifications Assessment will be expected inter alia, to:
Lead in the promotion and coordination of higher education and training provided by higher education institutions and to act as a lead regulator in:
- Be well versed with local and international qualifications to enable verification and assessment of local and international qualifications.
- Facilitate the development of MBK/S for all programmes from primary and secondary level, HEXCO, Teacher’s Colleges and other Colleges and Ministries offering Diploma Qualifications and Certificates.
- Expand the role of the ZNQF to lower levels (primary and secondary education, HEXCO and other private Colleges).
- Compile and update the ZIMCHE accredited programme register on a quarterly basis.
- Stay abreast of state, national and international trends and issues in qualification assessment.
- Advises the public, and the ZIMCHE Council on policy related to qualification assessment.
- Work closely with the Director: ICT and be innovative in the development of an electronic system for assessing external qualifications.
- Service the Higher Education Quality Assurance Committee (HEQAC) of the ZIMCHE Council and ensuring administrative efficiency in the implementation of decisions taken by Council and its sub-committee as far as qualification assessment is concerned.
- Network with national, regional and international experts in the areas of qualification assessment to ensure benchmarking with the support of the Chief Director.
- Facilitate the setting up of peer review panels to ensure that suitably qualified and experienced academics constitute the panels for purpose of effective quality assurance and assessment of qualifications.
- Promote internal and external communication of qualification assessment results.
- Assisting the Chief Director in the development and monitoring of strategic plans and a performance management system of the Directorate.
- Produce quarterly and annual reports for activities in the Directorate and report to the Chief Director as part of the IRBM performance management system.
- A recognised and earned PhD qualification preferably in Quality Assurance; or Higher Education Planning, Administration and Management; or Curriculum Studies; or Educational Policy Studies, or Measurement/Assessment and Evaluation.
- Led a Quality Assurance Unit in a university and should be at the level of Full or Associate Professorship in a university as the incumbent will be working with Heads of Departments, Deans and Pro Vice Chancellors in Universities.
- At least 10 years’ experience working in a university or public institution. At least five (5) of those years must have been at a senior position in a university, preferably in positions such as Executive Dean, Director or Head of Quality Assurance; Director or Head of the Department of Teaching and Learning Unit;
- Experience in establishing and running quality management systems in a university;
- Experience in international quality assurance systems and procedures would be an added advantage.
- Experience of working in both residential and in Open, Distance and e-Learning institutions is essential.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Zimbabwe Higher Education quality assurance system.
- Sound knowledge of global Higher Education trends and issues of quality assurance at international levels.
- Excellent and demonstrable research, analytical and writing skills are mandatory.
- Expertise in assessment, data analysis and educational outcomes.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to work with diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to synthesize and analyze quantitative data and prepare and present reports effectively.
- Knowledge of regional, national, and international accreditation standards and practices.
- Knowledge of institutional self-assessments and student outcomes assessment principles, methods and techniques.
- Ability to plan, create, program, and manage statistical computer databases across multiple hardware and operating system platforms/environments.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of University data systems, definitions, and procedures.
- An advanced knowledge of the MS Office Package especially willingness to learn advanced MS Project and intermediate MS Excel is mandatory as part of one’s continuous professional development plan.
- Commitment intellectually and professionally to the development of an AI-powered organisation; and an electronic system for the accreditation of universities and university programs is essential.
- Supporting the ICT Director in the establishment of a HEMIS and the development of a culture of data analytics in the higher education sector.
Interested candidates should submit the following: application letter, a detailed CV and certified copies of degree certificates, present salary, names and addresses of at least three referees including their email addresses to:
The Director Human Resources, ZIMCHE, P.O. Box H100 Hatfield or 21 J.M. Nkomo Road, Hatfield, Harare not later than 16th of May 2021.
The application should be emailed to email@example.com in a single PDF file clearly indicating the position being applied for in the subject line.