The Zimbabwe Council for Higher Education (ZIMCHE), a quality control regulatory authority, was established by an Act of Parliament, [Chapter 25:27], in 2006, to promote and co-ordinate education provided by higher and tertiary education institutions, superintend over standards, act as a regulator in the determination and maintenance of examinations, academic qualifications and research. The ZIMCHE is looking for a Financial Auditor who is a thought leader and ready to re-think the way we think about Audit and Risk Management in the Public Sector Since the ZIMCHE sits at the pinnacle of Zimbabwe’s Higher Education system, we are looking for someone who is prepared to be at the fore front intellectually of re-inventing and re-imaging the audit and risk function in the ZIMCHE and the Higher and Tertiary Education system and remaining within the purview of the rues and regulations set by the Office of the Auditor General.
The role of the Financial Auditor in the Audit and Risk Management unit is inter alia, to support through the Director: Audit and Risk Management, the work of other units in the main functions of the ZIMCHE which are to:
- Design and recommend an institutional quality assurance system for higher education, that is, a system whereby the courses, programmes and degrees offered by institutions are evaluated on a regular and objective basis”.
- Promote and coordinate education provided by institutions of higher education and to act as a regulator in the determination and maintenance of standards of teaching, examinations, academic qualifications and research in institutions of higher education.
This position exists to objectively and creatively work with the Director: Audit and Risk Management to examine and evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of ZIMCHE’s internal controls, risk management and corporate governance systems.
The financial Auditor will focus on providing support in the Finance function to the Director: Audit and Risk Management. Our Finances are central to the survival of ZIMCHE. We are therefore looking for a seasoned individual who is committed to her or his work and is also prepared to uphold the highest standards in this very delicate and important function. We are also looking for someone who is prepared to work very hard in ensuring that the ZIMCHE gets a clean Audit in 2020! The Financial Auditor will report to the Director: Audit and Risk Management (ARM). She or he will work as part of a team that will creatively oversee the Audit and Risk Management function in the ZIMCHE.
This position also exists to execute the planning of financial, investigative; and execution of all types of audits and quality assurance programmes of the organisation and making sure that the ZIMCHE achieves its objectives as promulgated in the Act.
Reporting to the Director: ARM, the position exists to plan and implement all types of audits and quality assurance programmes for ZIMCHE with a focus on the Finance Function. He/she must possess the required financial and business skills to be able to manage and perform in a prudent manner. The position requires the incumbent to possess effective communication skills as he/she will liaise with senior members, colleagues, and employees within his/her role. The position is accountable for the maintenance of the quality assurance and will ensure policies are in place and operational. The Auditor: Finance will focus on risk management, operational audits, governance and quality assurance policies evaluation.
- The position will review financial controls and systems for reliability and integrity in as far as local, international standards and ZIMCHE policies and procedures are concerned.
- Carry out risk assessment of operational activities in accordance with national and international auditing standards and techniques.
The incumbent will review operational activities for economical use of resources based on allocated budgets, performance targets, human resources and other operational standards; and conduct ad hoc assignments within the organization to provide an independent and objective assessment within the organization.
Effectiveness of processes
- The incumbent will assess the suitability and effectiveness of processes in all directorates to ensure successful achievement of the mandate and objectives of the ZIMCHE. This will involve a full understanding and appreciation of the operational processes of all the directorates and offices, as well as assessing effectiveness of policies and procedures. This will enable the assessment of operational adherence to set policies and standards.
- The incumbent will review the means of safeguarding organizational resources-physical, human and financial; and verify the existence of such resources and discuss audit findings with the concerned staff during the audit and in exit meetings. This will enable highlighting of conditions, criteria, causes, risks, and recommendation of improvements and also follow up audits on agreed action plans to assess implementation.
Monitoring and evaluation
The incumbent will monitor and evaluate the internal quality assurance systems to ensure high quality service delivery and high operational standards. She or he must be able and willing to be part of a team in auditing both internal and external quality assurances systems in the ZIMCHE.
The incumbent will carry out investigative audits by reviewing internal controls and establish and weakness in the system and make appropriate risk assessments and periodic reviews, recommendations for corrective action including gathering sufficient, reliable evidence as a basis for audit findings for inclusion in the reports.
The Auditor will oversee the establishment of internal quality assurance policies, processes and systems including development of procedure manuals and handbooks for use by directorates, to ensure high performance standards.
Major Challenges and Problem Solving
- The drafting of annual audit and risk plans.
- The execution of the approved audit and risk plans.
- Submission and upraising the supervisor on progress and draft reports for finalization.
Delegated Freedom to Act
- Delegated freedom to act is limited by managerial guidelines.
- The position is generally controlled by the frameworks, policies and standards.
The tables below show operationally how the Auditor will interact with key positions and units within the ZIMCHE internally and externally:
1. Council Members
2. Members of Staff
3. Director: ARM
- Institute of Internal Auditors
- Statutory Bodies
- Peer Reviewers
- Degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Master’s degree in Accounting or Finance will be an added an added advantage.
- Professional Qualifications:
- CA, ACCA/CIMA/CPA, CIS or equivalent.
- IIA registration a must. PAAB registration an added advantage.
We expect the Auditor to have at least 3-5 years relevant experience preferably in a university or a similar parastatal.
To be submitted in six (6) copies including detailed CVs and certified copies of certificates to the
The Chief Executive Officer, (CEO) ZIMCHE, P.O. Box H100 Hatfield or 21 J.M. Nkomo Road, Hatfield, Harare not later than 6 September 2019
Offer ended on September 6, 2019