The Zimbabwe Council for Higher Education (The ZIMCHE), a quality control regulatory authority was established by an Act of Parliament, [Chapter 25:27], in 2006, to inter alia:
- Promote and co-ordinate education provided by higher and tertiary education institutions;
- Superintend over standards: and
- Act as a regulator in the determination and maintenance of examinations, academic qualifications and research.
Applicants are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the post of Chief Director: Human Resources, Planning and Financing. This senior position is pivotal to the work of the ZIMCHE in relation to: first organizational effectiveness, financial sustainability and renewal; and second, in terms of re-positioning the ZIMCHE vis-a-vis our role in working with the Higher and Tertiary Education (HTE) system to deliver Education 5.0 and Heritage based education as articulated by the Ministry of Higher and Tertiary Education, Innovation, Science and Technology Development. We are looking for a qualified and experienced professional, and servant leader with strengths in Finance and Planning or Finance and Human Resources to effectively lead and manage change in the newly created portfolio of Human Resources, Planning, and Financing so that we can creatively and effectively deliver on our mandate as per the ZIMCHE Act. Our main role as per the ZIMCHE Act is inter alia, to:
- Design and recommend an institutional quality assurance system for the higher education system, that is, a system whereby the courses, programmes and degrees offered by HTE institutions are evaluated on a regular and objective basis.
- Promote and coordinate education provided by institutions of higher education and to act as a regulator in the determination and maintenance of standards of teaching, examinations, academic qualifications and research in institutions of higher and tertiary education and training in Zimbabwe; and
- Advise the Minister of Higher and Tertiary Education, Innovation, Science and Technology Development on a number of issues that impact on the Higher and Tertiary Education system in Zimbabwe.
This position exists to execute transactional, transformational and various service provision functions at the ZIMCHE to ensure the delivery of pivotal support necessary for the realisation of ZIMCHE’s vision, mission, goals and objectives thereby guaranteeing the ZIMCHE’s vibrancy, effectiveness, and efficiency in its operations as it delivers on the mandate of the Ministry of Higher Education, Science and Technology Development; and the national goal of ensuring that Zimbabwe achieves the status of an upper middle income economy by the year 2030.
- Prospective applicants must be a holder of a PhD degree in Finance/HR/Planning/Social Sciences/Public Administration/Strategic Management. A qualification in Finance at the master’s degree level is essential;
- A minimum of 10 years relevant experience as a senior staff member in the fields of Human Resources Management, Planning, Strategic Management, Corporate Strategy, and Financial management I essential;
- Must be a holder of an IPM Diploma and CIS or relevant Accounting qualifications; and
- Strong leadership and management skills.
The ideal candidate must have:
- A minimum of 10 years working experience in the university or a similar academic institution or organisation in the private sector. Experience as a Dean, Head of Department, Executive Directorship, Bursar or a PVC in a University will be an advantage. Additionally, experience at the position of a full professorship level and knowledge of, and experience of quality assurance systems and procedures in universities will be an added advantage.
- An entrepreneurial and innovative mind set and willingness to interact with national, regional, continental and global stakeholders especially organizations in the Higher and Tertiary Education (HTE) sphere will be indispensable.
- Ability and willingness to work with and lead the ZIMCHE Resource Mobilization Committee to generate funding for the ZIMCHE’s strategic plans and projects is essential.
- Total commitment to and knowledge of the Integrated Results Based Management (IRBM) System and an Individual Performance Management System is crucial.
- A passion for data analytics in financial reporting, management of human resources and planning the future trajectory of the ZIMCHE will be essential. Monthly Financial Management reports will be a key deliverable for this position.
- Being a path finder in the areas of Finance, Planning and Human Resources management and ability to re-think and re-imagine the way we think about Finance, Planning and Human Resources in the ZIMCHE so that we can support the HTE system by hiring the best Directors, Managers and Officers who will re-engineer the ZIMCHE and support universities at the same time.
- Ability and commitment to attract and retain creative individuals in all functions of the ZIMCHE.
- Demonstrable knowledge of HR, Finance and Planning is critical.
- It is a must that the person we are looking for should have advanced knowledge of an Enterprise Resources Planning (ERP) system such as SAP or PASTEL.
- Participating as a member of the management team in formulating corporate strategies, policies and budgets, and in monitoring the organization’s performance to ensure that the organization’s vision, mission and goals are achieved especially in HR, Finance and Planning.
- Liaising with the office of the Chief Executive Officer in organizing and coordinating Strategic Planning workshops and ensuring constant updating of Council on progress made in implementing strategic plan goals, deliverables and objectives.
- Directing and controlling the operations of the HR, Finance, Planning and general Administration of the ZIMCHE to ensure that they provide efficient and effective services throughout the corporate body, and to ensure the core values of the organization are upheld by all its employees.
- To take a lead in the conceptualization, planning, development and implementation of a new physical infrastructure plan for the ZIMCHE.
- Commitment to the submission of monthly financial statements, general management quarterly reports with IRBM system; and advising the CEO on the financial viability of the ZIMCHE as a going concern.
- Taking full responsibility of and managing the Individual Performance Management System (IPMS) of the ZIMCHE using the IRBM system and quarterly reports from all staff members.
- Developing, implementing and monitoring Human Resources policies, including reward management and remuneration policies, processes and procedures that attract, retain and motivate employees and which are internally equitable as well as externally competitive.
- Having an oversight role in mobilizing funding required by the organization, monitoring organizational expenditure, and securing approval of funding from the parent Ministry through annual budgets.
- Having responsibility for facilities management and other administrative activities and requirements.
- Conducting research in HR, Administration, Finance, Planning and jointly conducting workshops for HR, Planning and Finance functionaries in universities. The incumbent should be prepared to be a “Thought Leader” in these areas within the HTE sector.
Intermediate knowledge of the MS Package (Word, Power Point, Excel, and MS Project) is essential. Knowledge of and readiness to use ZOOM for virtual meetings is essential. Introductory knowledge of MS Visio will be an added advantage
Candidates are expected to upload their application on the ZIMCHE website or send six (6) copies including a detailed CV, with the names, and the contact details of three references; and certified copies of certificates to the Chief Executive Officer, the ZIMCHE, No 21 J. M. Nkomo Road, Hatefield, Harare, Zimbabwe not later than 20th December 2019. Candidates are encouraged to apply online.
Offer ended on December 20, 2019